Cuisinart GR-4N Griddler Review
If you take a tour through my kitchen, you will notice that it is overloaded with little appliances. I love making thick panini sandwiches - so I have a panini press. I always eat a hearty breakfast - so I have a huge griddle. Plus, I love to make cheeseburgers for my family, so I have one of those little grills named after the famous boxer. These three little machines have gotten a lot of use over the years, but they take up way too much space, not to mention the fact that each one of them is a nightmare to clean.
I knew that there must be a better solution, so I decided to look for one appliance that could take care of all of my needs. Enter the Cuisinart GR-4N Griddler. Not only is it a powerful appliance that can replace all of those space wasting gadgets, but it is a Cuisinart indoor grill - a name that I have known for years.
What is so great about the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-In-1 Griddler?
I read and use a lot of different grills and sandwich makers, but this is one that is as about as convenient and easy to use as it gets. Here are the characteristics that I really like about it...
- It's four (could be five) appliances in one
- It's easy to use
- It's easy to clean
- It cooks great tasting foods
Here's a quick video of the Cuisinart Griddler in action:
Cuisinart Griddler Features And Specs
- 5 in 1 indoor grill can be used as a full grill, full griddle, half grill/half griddle, panini press and contact grill
- 1500 watts heating power
- 200 sq inch cooking surface with non-stick grill/griddle plates
- Floating hinge cover adjusts to food thicknesses
- Fully adjustable temperature controls from 200 - 425 degrees
- Drip tray catches fats from foods
- Removable grill plates are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Measures 13 inches wide x 11.5 inches deep x 6.75 inches high
- Includes scraping tool and small recipe book
- 3-year limited warranty
A True 5-in-1 Kitchen Appliance
Are you like me, with a kitchen full of little machines that are each made for only one type of food preparation? Over the years, I have struggled to keep my counter space clear because it is always taken up by a little grill or a griddle or my sandwich press. Cuisinart grills has solved that problem with the Griddler because it replaces several different appliances.
- First, the Griddler works as a contact grill – Use the Griddler to replace those grills that have a top and a bottom that cook both sides of the meat at the same time. This is a great solution to making hamburgers or even preparing thick cuts of meat. The top cover of the grill is made with a special hinge that allows it to sit flat on top of what ever you are grilling. This means that you will get evenly grilled results every time.
- The Griddler also replaces a sandwich press - In the same way that it works as a contact grill, you can close both sides around a sandwich of almost any thickness. Closing the sandwich inside of the grill means that both the top and the bottom will toast at the same time and at the same temperature. Of course, you will not be using it at the same temperature as you would if you were grilling a steak. But, the great thing about the Griddler is that it has the power to do both.
- Full Grill - While the top cover is great for making sure that both sides of your food is prepared evenly, you can also open it so it lies flat and creates two grilling surfaces. This doubles the amount that you can grill at once and rivals any grill that you might have outside. You can prepare hamburgers, hot dogs or even steaks for the entire family just as you would on a charcoal or propane grilling surface.
- Full Griddle - If you enjoy making eggs, bacon, or hash browns for breakfast then you will love the fact that this gadget turns into a griddle. All you need to do is pull the top cover so it lies flat, then just flip the reversible grilling surfaces. You can actually remove the metal grilling surface and flip it over to reveal a smooth surface that works great as a griddle. You will have a large 200 square inch cooking surface to create a great-tasting and healthy breakfast.
- Of course we cannot leave out the fact that you can mix the griddle and grill surface into one; a fifth function. If you lay the appliance flat, one side can work as a griddle and the other can work as a grill - making it easy for you to prepare the famous meal of steak and eggs.
So, you can see why I was impressed by the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler since it takes the shape of four (or five) different appliances. This means that I no longer have to take up all of that extra room in my kitchen with gadgets, the Cuisinart GR-4N Griddler does it all.
The Griddler Is Extremely Simple To Use
There are three control dials on the Griddler and they are quite straightforward. The first dial is to select either "Griddle" or "Grill-Panini", to let the machine know what you will be using it for. When you use it as a grill or a panini press, you can use the settings dial to choose warm, low, medium, high, or sear.
When you switch the selector to "Griddle" you can control the exact temperature with the third dial. Plus, there is no guesswork with the Griddler. The control dials have green indicator lights that turn on when the machine has reached the appropriate temperature for cooking.
I really like the fact that the grill surfaces are reversible. They are also easy to use - just push a button and they will snap off.
Finally An Appliance That Is Easy To Clean
Despite its ability to become many different appliances, it is still incredibly easy to clean. After you have used the Griddler, allow it to cool off and then use a damp cloth or paper towel to clean off excess grease or food. You could also use the included scraping tool that is specially designed to clean the ridged grilling surface. As soon as the grilling surfaces are cool, you can snap them off and throw them in the dishwasher.
There is also a special drip imbedded tray that will catch runoff fat or grease. To clean this, you just have to pull it out and wash it by hand or put it in the dishwasher with the grilling surfaces. If you take a moment to clean off the outside with a damp cloth, the brushed stainless steel surface will look great for years.
Is There A Warranty?
Cuisinart goes above and beyond the standard one year warranty by providing a full 3-year limited warranty that will cover any defects in materials or craftsmanship.
What About Complaints?
After reading many reviews written by real users of the Griddler, I realized that there were not many complaints - most reviews are extremely positive. However, a few customers did have a problem with their Griddlers not heating up quickly and evenly. Most of the time this problem can be solved by making sure that the grill is in the closed position before you even turn it on. This is how the product's manual instructs you to heat up the surfaces. If you follow the directions in this way, you should not have any problems.
What Are Real Customers Saying About It?
It's easy to find glowing reviews about the Griddler. People like its features and love the fact that it is easy to use and clean. Here are just a few comments that I found...
- "Replaces several older and bulkier appliances I had"
- "Throw Away The Foreman Grill"
- "I can't recommend it enough"
- "I use this all the time!"
- "A good buy and very pleased with the purchase."
Where Can I Buy My Own Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler?
If you are interested in purchasing your own Griddler, then you could look at several different retail stores or you could even look at the Cuisinart website. However, I did a lot of research on this product and I found the lowest price on Amazon.com. Amazon is offering the Griddler at a really steep discount (Nearly $100 off), and right now it can be shipped to you at no cost with Free Super Saver Shipping.
Reading over all of the various user reviews from others that have purchased the Cuisinart GR-4N Griddler, it is easy to see why this grill is so highly rated. Our own research has led us to not only recommend this grill, but to list the Cuisinart Griddler on our to 10 list of indoor grills.